So, talking with my flying buddy, Byron, we decided that a
Giant Scale Super Sportster would be fun to design, build and
fly. We would both build one and split up some of the work. So
I fired up my CAD program and in a week or so, had some basic
plans. Byron started right away as I worked on some of the plan
details. The goal is for something that will perform well, but
be easy to fly. Also will try to simplify the assembly and wing
Pictures with * Click on image for large picture . Use browser
back to return.
Wingspan: 65 inches (Symmetrical airfoil.)
Power: 42 to 52cc gas.
Weight: 15-19 lbs.
Wing Area: 1475 sq/in
Wing loading: 26 oz/sq ft
* The first landing. Came in nice and slow. Plane has light
wing loading and good speed range. Real stable and easy to fly.
Q-52 pulls it real well.
Notice "body english" used to level wings on landing.
On 7-7-01 Byron made 4 flights. Takeoff was smooth and then
needed just a little trim. I flew it a bit. Looks like it will
do what we want. On the fourth flight, engine died on rough touch
and go and it dropped hard into the tall grass. Landing gear was
broken loose but no major damage. On 7-8-01, Byron returned with
gear fixed and larger ailerons. Roll rate is now good and we are
starting to wring it out and see what it can do. It seems to accomplish
our goal for a relatively quick build, fun to fly, easy to transport
and set up at the field. The Sportster airfoil is perfect for
either slow or fast flight and inverted flight is smooth. I flew
it some more on Sunday. Just real fun. Does wild tumbles, real
smooth, lands like a trainer.
On 7-22-01 I flew the second one. Flies real well but needed
a good bit of down trim. Could use a bit more power, but was still
lots of fun. Five long flights with no problems. Engine is still
breaking in so will get better. All landings were real slow and
smooth. It flies a bit tail-heavy, so it tends to wallow around.
But that makes it much more fun to do snaps and tumbles. Will
probably fly it every weekend as it is so much fun.
Still flying the SS Bipe after 2 years. Have had two fatal
crashes due to switch failure and elevator flutter (flutter was
due to cheap servos.) Both crashes broke wings in half and bent
shaft on Q-42. It is looking a bit ragged, hopefully I'll recover
it. On the second rebuild, I replaced the struts with a simpler
and stronger U-shaped aluminum flat stock. I was able to eliminate
the holes in the top of the wing for a cleaner look.
Flying is easy and it does not have any stability problems.
The swept wing adds a lot of rudder-roll coupling, so knife edges
are difficult. But this is not a 3D plane. One of the fun things
to do is put it in a hover position, then switch sticks to an
inverted snap position. It will do basically a rolling circle
but as a snap roll.
Now broken in, the Q-42 pulls well. It will almost hover. But
the Q-42 is showing its age (crash damage and it sucked up the
screw that holds the butterfly in.) So I have just now switched
to a Poulan-Pro 50cc with C&H Ignition. Now it really flies
nice. Almost unlimited vertical.
This plane is just fun and a real crowd pleaser. I will add
smoke next :).
Plans are available.
Return to planes
to SHDesigns home page: