Work done so far:
- Removed and cleand carbs. Actrually removed and cleaned 7
times. Turns out corrosion of the jets was a problem. No cleaner
would remove the crud, so had to drill them out. Same for fuel
float valves. Carbs would overflow with gas. Ended up polishing
the valve seat with a drill bit.
- Installed missing washers in carbs. These seemed unimportant
as the were between and o-ring and the spring on the mixture
screws (protect o-ring from end of spring). But it screwed up
the adjustment the "2.5 turns out" standard setting
was now about 1 turn.
- Installed several missing bolts.
- Installed replacement rear fender.
- Replaced handlebars/controls. Switches were a bit dirty,
found whole set of bars/controls on ebay. Took the best from
both. New bars came with the missing bar weights and good aftermarket
- Stripped tank down to bare metal.
- Attempted leaky petcock repair. Repair kit was mismarked
and had wrong parts. New on the way.
- Fixed fan thermostat.
- Plastic-welded the cracks in the fairing.
- Plastic-welded broken tab on fairing bracket.
- New brake lever (ball broken off end of old.)
- New carb gaskets.
- Syncronized carbs. It refused to idle well. Thought it was
serious mixture problems (well it was.) But it still ran bad
and would only rev up if choked. Turns out the carbs were way
out of sync.
- New plug wires.
- Plastic weld crack in radiator shroud.
- Fix some crappy wiring.
- Installed missing tool box and tools.
- Installed missing seat latch. Still missing keylock.
- Installed battery.
- Mirrors, received broken aftermarket mirror, had to send
- Front turn signals ($0.99 ebay ;) )
- Accessory box. ($1.04 ebay)
- Bracket for front fender.
- 10-lb box of bolts to replace some of the missing ones.
- Wndshield screws/grommets/nuts.
- Have bolts/gromments for oil cooler.
- Petcock repair kit.
- White and black "ZX600, Kasasaki, KLEEN system, and
- New Kevlar front Brake pads
- New throttle cables.
- New Clutch Cable
On Sunday 4/2/06 I actually was able to ride it. With leaky
petcock and no tank bracket, had to bungee a 1-gallon can to the
frame. Must of looked funny, no fairing, no lights, mirrors, tank
or turn signals. But it rode real nice and has good power when
it decides to wake up. Still stumbles off of idle.
Back to Page 1 On
to Page 4 - Painting