||SHDesigns: Embedded Systems Design, Consulting and Developer Resources
Ordering information for the SHDesigns libraries can
be found here:
New 4-1-2008 Now supports the RCM4200 module
Z-World does not provide a viable Ethernet Downloader
for the Rabbit products.
Others have implemented Network Downloaders, but they are limited.
SHDesigns has implemented a solution that is simple,
and is easy to use.
Hits since 3-18-03
Also supports the RCM3900 modules.
Note: Does not support wireless, RCM5xxx modules or
any other RCM4xxx module than the 4200.
Download and try the Demo: "DLMDemo.zip"
The features are:
- Very low FLASH code overhead: less then 1k!, Small root data
- Supports all Z-World Rabbit 2000 and 3000 boards.
- Supports separate Instruction and data mode.
- Uses about 23k of xmem Only when downloading. Available to
user program otherwise.
- RAM loader can be included in xmem FLASH (uses no xmem).
- Requires no hardware changes
to Rabbit modules. Z-World provides a solution that require modifying
the rabbit modules. This is unacceptable!
- User code may use all of the FLASH and RAM available. Other solutions divide the FLASH and RAM in
- Fast download, programs 120k in less than 10 seconds.
- No Z-World library changes. Other solutions require extensive
library changes. There is no need to compile primary and secondary
- Works with boards with any size flash or RAM.
- Uses UDP socket for fast speed and low overhead.
- Actual programming code runs entirely from RAM and is downloaded
- Programming RAM code is only 23k including the UDP/IP stack!
- Board can be at ANY IP address, no addresses are hard-coded.
The PC utility can actually change the boards IP address if needed
and it will search for the boards. Other solutions require a
"server" to be installed a a specific IP address.
- Multiple boards can exist on the LAN and can be programmed
- Network data is verified via CRC.
- Does not blindly copy data into RAM and assume it will not
destroy user data. Downloaded RAM program is allocated from xmem.
- Does not require Web, TFTP, BOOTP, DHCP or a FTP client or
- PC utility is only 240k and does not require installation.
- Rabbit boards identify themselves to the programmer. They
can even include a user-defined string to identify different
boards within one LAN.
- Automatically adjusts for MTU size. Downloader adjusts for
MTU size for fastest download. Will work on wireless LANs, VPN,
and internet connections.
- Supports ANY FLASH type or block size.
- Downloader will work through routers to other subnets. It
even has been tested through a NAT firewall over the Internet.
- Code .bin files can now be Encrypted with optional password
protection. This prevents users from stealing your code!
- Updates are available free online.
- PC Utility runs on Windows 98, ME, NT, 2000 and XP. It has
also been run under WINE and Win4Lin in linux.
- Fail-safe recovery support in download manager will recover
from a reset or power loss during download.
- Now supports multiple board download. A list of boards is
provided; one or multiple boards can be selected to download.
- PC Utility can automatically update boards.
- New 4-1-2008 Support for the
An example screen of the download utility is shown below:
The design goal for this library was for a user to be able
to walk up to any windows PC on the local LAN. Insert a floppy
and run the program to download new code to any or all of the
Rabbit-Based systems. Each Rabbit board is identified by name.
If you would like to view the user manual (Adobe PDF) , It
can be downloaded here
Unlike the other libraries form SHDesigns, this one is not
free. This was a significant development effort. Many hurdles
had to be overcome with DC limitations. This library requires
- Dynamic C versions earlier than 7.21 have not been tested.
- Dynamic C version 9.4x is not supported due to compiler and
library bugs. 9.52 is supported.
- Does not support PPP or PPPoE connections.
This library is licensed on a per-developer basis. A licensed
user will receive the libraries and documentation and will receive
free updates. Updates will be available online. There will never
be a charge for updates.
The PC utility may be freely distributed. Source is available
to allow users to integrate the function into their own applications.
The license cost is $125. Licensed users will get technical
support for 1 year.
Purchase via the online store:
Purchase order: (US-companies
only): Send purchase order on company letterhead with a request
for the items shown below to:
Fax: (601) 767-5142
5082 Post Road Trail
Stone Mountain, GA 30088-2013.
Check or money order:
Payable to SHDesigns in US Dollars, orders sent to above address.
Credit Card: Fax CC#, billing
address including zip code, name on card, expriation date, security
code and the email address to send the download information to:
Be sure to include an email address to send the link and login
information to download the library.
Purchase both the Ethernet Downloader
and the Serial Loader and save $20.
Paypal and Credit Card: Ordering
information for other SHDesigns libraries can be found here:
For questions or more information check out the Rabbit
Board at SHDesigns.
For More Information contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
or Call Scott Henion at: (678) 367-3157 (This
is not the FAX number!)
Counter provided by: